top of page

Family Sponsorship 

Family reunification is a vital component of Canada’s immigration agenda. A Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident who is living in Canada may be eligible to sponsor their spouse and any dependent children for permanent residence in Canada. An application for sponsorship can be made for a spouse or partner who is living either inside or outside Canada.

The Spousal visa allows applicants married to a Canadian citizen or permanent resident the unique opportunity to be sponsored along with their dependent children.

The applicant and their spouse must be married and show the genuine and continuing nature of the relationship and intend to live together in Canada, upon approval.


Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents may sponsor certain relatives so they become permanent residents. You can sponsor a spouse, children, parents or grandparents.


You may also sponsor brothers or sisters, nephews or nieces, granddaughters or grandsons who are orphaned, under 22 years of age and not married or in a common-law relationship.


You may sponsor another relative regardless of age or relationship if you do not have a living spouse or common-law partner, conjugal partner, a son or daughter, parent, grandparent, sibling, uncle, aunt, nephew or niece who could be sponsored as a member of the family class, and you do not have any relative who is a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.

bottom of page